Score: Hamilton 2, Wesleyan 1 (OT)
Records: Wesleyan (4-3-1, 1-3-0 NESCAC) Hamilton (5-3-0, 4-1-0 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Jackson Field)
Date: Saturday, October 1st
Time: 1:30 p.m.
The Lead: Charlie Gruner '17 scored a goal late in the second half to tie the game, but the Wesleyan University men's soccer team would drop a heartbreaker to Hamilton College in overtime, 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two teams played a scoreless first half, with the Continentals holding a 3-2 advantage in shots.
- Killian Clancy got the visitors on the board first with an unassisted goal at 65:46.
- The Cardinals responded a few minutes later with Gruner's first goal of the season at 69:14 to tie the game at one.
- Hamilton would score the game-winner two minutes into the overtime period as Aidan Wood placed a pass to Jefri Schmidt who found the back of the net for the 2-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jack Katkavich '17 made two saves in net for Wesleyan, while Harris Pollack made one for the Continentals.
- Each team took three corner kicks in the game, and the visitors held a slight edge in shots at 9-8.
- Gruner and Danny Rubenstein '17 each took two shots in the game for the home team.
- The Cardinals are back in action tomorrow as they will host Trinity College at 1 p.m. The game will be played in support of the charity Grassroot Soccer.
- The Continentals also return to the field tomorrow as they will travel to take on NESCAC foe Tufts for a 1:30 p.m. contest.