Scores: Wesleyan 8, NYU 1
Records: Wesleyan (9-9); New York University (n/a)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (MIT)
Date: Friday, February 17, 2017
Time: 2:30 p.m.
The Lead: The 26th-ranked Wesleyan University men's squash team cruised to a decisive 8-1 win over 31st-ranked New York University Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the 2017 CSA National Team Championships Conroy Cup (D Division).
- The Cardinals won the No. 1-6 positions, as well as the No. 8 and No. 9 spots.
- At the top of the lineup, senior Chris Hart swept Max McCafferty by scores of 11-4, 11-6, 11-8.
- Classmate David Sneed continues to excel in his final season and picked up a 3-1 win in the No. 2 position against Gabriel Bassil. After claiming an 11-7 win in the first set, the senior was edged in the second (12-10) before pulling away with consecutive wins of 11-6 and 11-8.
- Zach Roach '17 earned a 3-0 sweep in the No. 3 position by scores of 11-6, 11-4, 11-3, while Grant Lounsbury '17 claimed a 3-1 victory in the No. 4 spot with marks of 11-3, 8-11, 11-3, 11-9.
- Alex Kamisher '17 and Yahya Ladiwala '19 swept the No. 5 (11-5, 11-4, 11-5) and No. 6 (11-6, 11-9, 11-7) positions, respectively.
- At the bottom of the lineup, William Bienstock '20 earned a 3-0 sweep (11-5, 11-8, 11-3) in the No. 8 spot, while Alex Dreyfus '20 claimed a 3-1 win (11-3, 6-11, 11-2, 12-10) in the No. 9 court.
- The Cardinals advance to the semifinals and will face No. 27 Bowdoin College tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. at Harvard University. The Cardinals recently swept the Polar Bears (9-0) in the NESCAC Championships on Sunday, Feb. 5, and are 1-1 against their conference rival this season.
- NYU fell into the consolation bracket and will play No. 30 Stanford University tomorrow at 9 a.m.