LEWISTON, Maine – The Wesleyan men's swimming and diving team traveled to Bates for a dual meet on Saturday. The Cardinals were guided by first-year Eric Tran who recorded a trio of first-place finishes. The Bobcats won the meet 204-84.
"I was impressed with the improvements several athletes made from last weekend's competition," stated head coach Peter Solomon. "Despite some injuries and illnesses that have kept some competitors out in the first few weeks, our team is responding well to training and we are already seeing significant time drops in just the second meet of the season. Compared to where we were at this time last year, we are in a really good place heading into the holiday stretch."
- Tran's first-place finishes were in the 200-yard butterfly (1:56.64), the 100-yard butterfly (52.99) and in the 200-yard IM (2:02.14). His victory in the 200-yard butterfly bested all competitors by almost a full five seconds.
- First-year Richard Ettinger recorded two second-place finishes during the meet. In the 100-yard backstroke, he touched the wall in 54.51, while in the 200-yard backstroke he clocked in at 2:00.94.
- The Cardinals also saw second-place finishes from Alex Brun in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:20.52), Joel Groves off the 1-meter (153.00 points) and 3-meter boards (148.65 points) and Jeremy Kim in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:16.68),
- Third-place finishes came from Kim in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:02.10), Jeffrey Haegelin in the 100-yard butterfly (54.98) and Mason Polaner in the 500-yard freestyle (4:58.58).
- Aidan Hood placed fourth in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle with times of 22.94 and 51.09, respectively. Brun earned fourth in the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:05.54.
- The Cardinals entertain No. 19 Amherst on Monday at 5:00 p.m.