Posted: Nov 25, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan men's swimming and diving teams hosted Little Three rival Amherst in its home opener on Monday evening. The No. 19 Mammoths topped the Cardinals 198-84 in the team's 106th meeting.
- The men tallied two individual wins in the pool. Jeffrey Haegelin bested all swimmers in the 50 fly, stopping the clock in 24.41, while Richard Ettinger claimed the 100 IM with a time of 56.44.
- During the relay events, the 400 free comprised of Mason Polaner, Jeremy Kim, Aidan Hood, and Eric Tran posted a winning time of 3:19.48.
- Tran placed second in the 400 IM, clocking in at 4:14.46, less than one second behind the Eric Wong of Amherst. He also placed second in the 100 IM, touching the wall in 56.94.
- Alex Brun touched the wall in 4:58.35 in the 500 free, earning runner-up, while Tom Arbaugh placed second in the 50 fly with a time of 25.69.
- Off the 3-meter board, Joel Groves placed second with 135.44 points. He also came in second off the 1-meter with 107.47 points.
- The 200 medley quartet of Ettinger, Kim, Haegelin, and Hood touched the wall in 1:40.73 to earn third. Kim also earned third in the 50 breaststroke (28.80) and the 100 breaststroke (1:02.04), while Qiyuan Zheng placed third in the 50 fly (27.27).
- The Cardinals are idle until December 7th when they host the CT Cup at 1:00 p.m.