Tournament: 2016 ITA New England Regional Championships
Host: Williams College (Williamstown, Mass.)
Format: 64 singles players; 48 doubles teams
The Lead: Eleven members of the 10th-ranked Wesleyan University men's tennis team competed at the 2016 ITA New England Regional Championships this weekend to open the 2016-17 season.
- Steven Chen '18, the top-seed in the singles draw, claimed a first round win over Josh Quijano of Bates, 6-2, 6-3, but was upset by Middlebury's Hamid Derbani in the second round, 7-5, 6-3.
- Sixth-seeded Michael Liu '18 went 1-1 with a decisive first round win over Ethan Chen of Tufts, 6-1, 6-0. However, the junior dropped a 6-4, 6-0 match to Eliot Rozovsky of Bowdoin in the second round.
- Ninth-seeded Joachim Samson '18 was upset by Jerry Jiang of Bowdoin, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2.
- Tiago Eusebio '18 lost a thrilling match to eighth-seeded Ryan Bunis of Brandeis in the first round, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
- Jonathan Holtzman '20 fell to Alberto De Mendiola of Babson in day one action, 6-4, 6-4.
- In doubles action, ninth-seeded Greg Lyon '17 and Jake Roberts '17 earned a first round bye and claimed an 8-5 win over Albert Go Tyler Barr of MIT. However, the duo fell short to fifth-seeded Anton Zykov and Josh Marchalik of Amherst, 8-6.
- Chen and Maxwell Smith '19 claimed an 8-5 win over Benjamin Biswas and Chen of Tufts before being edged 8-6 to Alex Taylor and Brian Grodecki of Williams.
- Princeton Carter '20 and Samson edged Michael Arguello and Jackson Kogan of Brandeis, 8-8 (7-5) in the first round, but lost to fourth-seeded Derbani and Kyle Schlanger of Middlebury, 8-6, in the second.
- Cameron Hicks '17 and Cameron Daniels '17 lost to Luis Cuervo and Aidan MGrory of Bowdoin in round one action, 8-3.
- The Cardinals wrap up their 2016 fall schedule with the three-day MIT Invitational from Friday, Oct. 14 through Sunday, Oct. 16.