Scores: Wesleyan 5, Middlebury 4
Records: Wesleyan (11-2, 6-1 NESCAC); Middlebury (16-6, 6-1 NESCAC)
Location: Middlebury, Vt.
Date: Sunday, April 23
The Lead: The eighth-ranked Wesleyan University men's tennis team edged No. 1 Middlebury College in a top-10 NESCAC thriller Sunday afternoon, 5-4, while handing the Panthers their first conference loss of the season.
- The Cardinals took a 2-1 lead after doubles play.
- Tiago Eusebio '18 and Maxwell Smith '19 edged Hamid Derbani and Kyle Schlanger in the No. 2 spot, 8-6.
- In No. 3 doubles, Steven Chen '18 and Cameron Daniels '18 won 8-3 over Timo van der Geest and Peter Martin.
- Wesleyan prevailed over Middlebury by winning No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
- In the No. 3 spot, Eusebio defeated Derbani by scores of 6-2, 6-4.
- Daniels took the No. 5 position against Geest 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, and Princeton Carter '20 won No. 6 singles in a three-set thriller against Allen Jackson. After falling in the first set, 6-2, he responded with wins of 7-6 (7-4), 6-2.
BEYOND THE RESULTS:
- With the win today, both the men's and women's Wesleyan tennis teams earned a victory over the No. 1 team in the country this season. Last Sunday, April 16, the women's program edged No. 1 Emory, 5-4.
- The Cardinals are back in action Saturday, April 29 and will play at Bates. The match is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.