MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The No. 5 Wesleyan men's tennis team fell to No. 6 Middlebury, 5-3, in NESCAC Semifinal action on Saturday. The second-seeded Cardinals had a bye in the first round, while the third-seeded Panthers downed sixth-seeded Tufts, 5-3 on Friday. Middlebury will face top-seeded Amherst in the Championship on Sunday, while Wesleyan will wait to hear about their NCAA tournament fate on Monday.
- Northeast ranked No. 1 duo of Adrian Roji and Noah Lilienthal battled Lumomir Cuba and Peter Martin in the #1 spot. In a tightly contested match, the tandem earned the win in a tiebreaker (7-3) to pick up an 8-7 victory and put Wesleyan on the board.
- At #2, Princeton Carter and Jonathan Holtzman went up an early break, but found themselves down 7-4 after an up and down match. The duo of juniors battled hard and almost got back on serve, but eventually suffered an 8-5 defeat.
- The #3 spot was a similar affair to #1, as sophomores Andrew Finkelman and Marcus Sweeney played a tight match that ended up in a tiebreaker. In the breaker, the Wesleyan duo had a match point at 6-5, but ultimately fell 9-7, as Middlebury's Andre Xiao and Nate Eazor earned the 8-7 win.
- Peter Anker continued his great form of late, topping ninth-ranked Noah Farrell 6-2, 6-4 at #2. The two faced off three weeks ago when the two teams met, and on the same court, Anker turned what was a 6-2, 6-1 loss into a straight set victory.
- Lilienthal moved up to #3, but was as rock solid as every, taking down Xiao in straight sets 6-1, 6-3.
- At the #1 spot, Finkelman was defeated by Cuba 6-2, 6-4.
- At #5 Carter battled back after losing the first set 6-2, but came up just short in the second set, falling 7-3 in a tiebreaker.
- The clinching victory came at the #4 spot where Roji suffered a 6-4, 6-2 against Adam Guo in a high quality match with impressive shotmaking from both players.
- The #6 match did not finish, but Middlebury's Stanley Morris had taken the first set from Zach Lieb before Lieb fought back in the second, going toe to toe with Morris. The two were knotted at 3-3 in a second set tiebreak when the match was clinched.