Score: Individual Results
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Anderson Outdoor Track)
Invitational: J. Elmer Swanson Invitational
Date: Saturday, April 22
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's track & field team put together many impressive finishes as it hosted the J. Elmer Swanson Invitational on Saturday.
- Kyle Shin '20 finished third in the 100-meter dash as he crossed the line in 11.60. Jack Northrop '20 came in fifth with a time of 11.81.
- In the 200-meter dash, Drew Trotman '18 and Frank McField '20 finished second and third with times of 23.38 and 23.43 respectively.
- McField won the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.36 while Trotman finished fifth with a mark of 54.45.
- Grant Van Inwegen '20 finished the 800-meter run in second with a time of 2:00.67 while Colin Mahoney '18 finished fifth, crossing the line in 2:02.36.
- Conner Sexton '20 and Van Inwegen finished first and second in the 1,500-meter run with times of 4:04.41 and 4:06.72 respectively. Juniors Tate Knight and Connor Cobb finished fourth and fifth as they crossed the line with times of 4:09.10 and 4:10.54.
- The 3,000-meter steeplechase saw Bill Bajohr '20 and Kevin McMorrow '20 claim the top two spots with times of 10:04.84 and 10:17.18.
- The 4x100-meter relay was won by the Cardinal team comprised of Shin, McField, Northrop and Trotman as they finished with a mark of 44.42.
- Wesleyan took the top three spots in the pole vault event. Andrew McCracken '19 won the event (4.25m) and was followed by Jessy Carrasco-Gonzales '18 (4.25m) and Pau Rius Valor '20 (3.50m).
- Northrop won the long jump with a mark of 5.99m.
- Wesley Layug '17 claimed third in the triple jump with a score of 11.36m.
- The shot put event saw Olaniyi Adebayo '19 finish second (11.90m) and Ricardo Vazquez '20 come in third (11.49m). Vazquez claimed fourth in the discus (31.63m) and Adebayo finished fifth (30.75m).
- Vazquez also finished the hammer throw in second with a mark of 34.66m while Adebayo finished fourth with a throw of 32.75m. Vazquez also earned a third place finish in the javelin throw with a mark of 43.57m.
HEAD COACH WALTER CURRY:
- "The unpredictable weather did not make things easy, but the Wesleyan athletes were able to focus enough to run and jump for some of their top performances of the spring season."
- "The strong performances in wet conditions is a good confidence builder going into the NESCAC conference meet on April 29th at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine."
- The Cardinals gear up for the NESCAC Championships, which will be held on Saturday, April 29th at Bowdoin. The events are scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.