MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University men's track and field team hosted the Elmer Swanson Invitational Saturday afternoon and welcomed athletes from Nichols College, Norwich University and Salve Regina University to Middletown.
- The Cardinals won nine events and claimed 27 top-10 finishes.
- Senior Drew Trotman and junior Olaniyi Adebayo highlighted the day for Wesleyan as they each took home two first-place finishes.
- Trotman claimed the 100- and 200-meters with times of 11.81 and 23.63, respectively. Wesleyan had four top-10 finishes in the 100 meter as Pau Rius Valor '20 took fourth (12.18), Andrew McCracken '19 claimed sixth (12.47) and Jack Northrop '20 finished seventh (12.54). Rius Valor also placed third in the 200 meter with a mark of 24.28.
- In the 400-meter, freshmen Kyron Roberts and Jay Carter took first and third, respectively. Roberts crossed the finish line in 50.40 while Carter crossed in 53.36.
- Wesleyan took the top-five spots in the 800 meters as Grant Van Inwegen '20 paced the group with a mark of 1:57.38, just barely edging teammate Conner Sexton '20 who crossed in 1:57.52.
- Kevin DeLoughry '21 won the 400 hurdles in 56.06.
- The 4x400 relay team of Roberts, DeLoughry, George Avrassoglou '19 and Trotman claimed first in 3:29.10.
- In field events, Adebayo won the shot put with a toss of 11.61m, as well as the hammer throw with a mark 33.27m. The junior also finished fourth in the discus (27.81m).
- Additionally, McCracken won the pole vault with a school-record leap of 4.57m and Jessy Carrasco-Gonzalez '18 finished second with a vault of 4.25m.
- Wesleyan will compete in the 2018 NESCAC Championships Saturday, April 18 at Trinity College beginning at 9 a.m.