MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - The Wesleyan University softball team swept its home-opening doubleheader against Trinity College Saturday, 4-3 and 1-0, thanks to excellent pitching from Su Pardo '16 and Julie McDonald '18, and timely hitting from Pardo, Rachel Kantor '19 and Annalie Walsh-Costello '17.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bantams opened up the scoring in the top of the fourth, as Erica Quinones took the Pardo pitch over the centerfield wall for a solo homerun.
- Trinity added another run off Pardo in the top of the fifth, as Elizabeth McQuaid doubled home Michelle Treglia to give the Bantams a 2-0 lead.
- The Cardinals would put together a four run bottom of the fifth, as Pardo helped herself with a 2-run homerun to leftfield scoring Jamie Hom '17, who doubled to lead off the inning. Two batters later, Kantor would give Wesleyan a 3-2 lead with her solo shot to left. McDonald added the fourth run of the inning as she singled home Isabel Linzer '17, giving the Cardinals the 4-2 advantage.
- The Bantams would come back with a run in the top of the sixth as Meaghan Race doubled home Courtney Erickson to bring their deficit to one, at 4-3.
- Pardo would walk two batters in the top of the seventh, but neither would score as she got Quinones swinging to end the game, and give Wesleyan the 4-3 win.
- Pardo went the distance for the Cardinals, allowing six hits and struck out 13 batters. She also went 1-3 at the plate with 2 RBIs.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Game two was a pitcher's dual between Cassia Armstrong and McDonald as neither allowed a run until the late innings.
- McDonald found herself in a bases loaded jam with one out in bottom of the fourth, but she was able to get Rachael Smith to pop out, and Katharine Haghdan to strikeout, to get out of the inning.
- Trinity would again have the bases loaded in the top of the fifth, and again McDonald was able to pitch her way out of trouble by striking out Race to end the frame.
- Pinch hitting in the bottom of the seventh with the game tied at 0-0, and runners on second and third, Walsh-Costello stepped up to the plate and laced a single into right field to score Hom and give Wesleyan the 1-0 victory.
- The Cardinals will return to the diamond on Wednesday, March 30, as they will take on the Coast Guard Academy in a doubleheader. Game one is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.
- The Bantams return to action on Tuesday, March 29 as they will host Eastern Connecticut St. in a doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.