Posted: Apr 06, 2016
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - The Wesleyan University softball team took to the diamond against Bay Path University on a chilly Wednesday afternoon, and were defeated by a score of 5-2.
Bay Path: 5-11
- The Wildcats broke out to an early lead, scoring three runs in the first inning off Cardinals' starting pitcher, Julie McDonald '18. Anna Meyer knocked in two Bay Path runners with her double to left field, and Lauren Vallee was able to score on a Katrina Peck sacrifice fly.
- Down three runs, the Cardinals rallied in the bottom of the sixth. Annalie Walsh-Costello '16 laced a triple down the right field line to score Angelina Massoia '16, who walked to lead off the inning. Walsh-Costello then scored on a Mollie Grunat '16 groundout to bring the Cardinals to within one. Isabel Linzer '17 would follow with a triple, but Bay Path's pitcher, Madison Goodhart, was able to retire the next two Wesleyan batters to end the inning.
- The Wildcats would extend their lead in the top of the seventh as they added two insurance runs on hits by Vallee and Anna Meyer to bring their lead to 5-2.
- Goodhart would retire the Cardinals in order in the bottom of the inning to give Bay Path the 5-2 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Su Pardo '16 went 1-2 in the game with a hard-hit double down the leftfield line.
- McDonald went 1-2 at the plate and worked two walks.
- Vallee and Meyer both had two hits for the visitors, combining for four RBIs on the day as well.
- Goodhart went the distance for Bay Path allowing eight hits and three walks.
- The Cardinals will return to the field on Friday, April 8th as they will travel to Williamstown, Mass. to take on Little Three Rival Williams. First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m.
- The Wildcats are back in action on Saturday, April 9th as they will face Lesley in doubleheader action. Game one is slated to begin at noon.