MIDDLETOWN, Conn. The Wesleyan University softball team suffered a heartbreaking loss in extra innings against Williams College on Friday afternoon by a score of 8-7.
Wesleyan: 14-7 (0-2 NESCAC)
Williams: 15-5 (1-0 NESCAC)
- Wesleyan got out to an early 1-0 lead on a Rachel Kantor '19 sacrifice fly, which scored Isabel Linzer '18.
- Williams responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the inning as Erica Li scored on a fielder's choice.
- Su Pardo '16, who pitched the entire game for the Cardinals, homered in the top of the second to give Wesleyan a 2-1 lead. Jamie Hom '17 followed with an RBI single to bring the Cardinals' lead to 3-1.
- Again the Ephs responded in the bottom of the inning as Lexi Curt lifted a double to left field which scored two runs to tie the game at 3. Williams would take a 4-3 advantage as Priscilla Pino would single home Lexi Curt.
- Annalie Walsh-Costello would single home Reilly Wieners in the top of the third to tie the game yet again. Mollie Grunat's '16 sacrifice fly later in the inning would regain the lead for Wesleyan at 5-4.
- Williams tied the game in the bottom of the fourth on a Kacey Cramer sinlge. Cramer would then score on a Melissa Cendejas single to right to give the Ephs the 6-5 advantage.
- Weslyan regained the lead in the top of the fifth as Hom laced a triple to left which scored Linzer and Grunat, and gave the Cardinals the one run advantage at 7-6.
- The Ephs would comeback again to tie the game at 7 in the bottom of the inning as Tayler Donze was able to score on an Alison Michalik groundout.
- In the bottom of the eight, Li would lead of the inning with a homerun to give Williams the walk-off victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Hom lead the Cardinals with 3 RBIs while going 2-4 in the game
- Linzer also contributed two hits for Wesleyan.
- Li lead the Ephs with 3 hits, going 3-5 on the afternoon with two runs scored,
- Donze went 2-3 and scored two runs as well.
- The two teams will return to the diamond tomorrow afternoon for a doubleheader. Game one is scheduled to begin at noon.