Posted: Apr 10, 2016
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - Julie McDonald '18 and Su Pardo '16 pitched complete game shutouts, as the Wesleyan University softball team won both ends of the twin bill against Hamilton College by identical 8-0 scores.
Wesleyan: 16-9 (2-4 NESCAC)
Hamilton: 9-12 (2-4 NESCAC)
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals got out to an early lead as McDonald singled in Isabel Linzer '17 to give the home team a 1-0 lead. Rielly Wieners '17 would later walk to force in McDonald from third to give Wesleyan a 2-0 lead going into the top of the second.
- Two runs were more than enough for McDonald who pitched a complete game shutout allowing just two hits and two walks. She also struck out six Continental batters in the game.
- Olivia Gorman '19 would single home McDonald, who in addition to her excellent pitching went 1-3 at the plate with an RBI and run scored, in the bottom of the second.
- Wesleyan put the game out of reach in the bottom of the fourth as they scored five runs to bring their lead to 8-0. Rachel Kantor '19 and Wieners had RBIs in the inning, which saw three Cardinal runners score on passed balls.
- Ashleah Yzaguirre and Olivia Gozdz had the lone hits for the visitors. Gozdz also stole two bases on the day while Yzaguirre and Delaney Nicol each stole one.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cardinals took advantage of a Hamilton fielding error in the bottom of the third, as they were able to capitalize and score two runs. Amanda Roosa '16 had the big hit of the inning, as her double to center scored McDonald from third to give Wesleyan a 2-0 lead.
- Similar to the first game, the Cardinals used a big inning to put the game out of reach. This time it was the sixth, which saw six Wesleyan runners cross home plate. Gorman and McDonald each registered an RBI in the inning, while a Kantor double plated two runners. Roosa's two run double sealed the deal for the home team who went onto win 8-0.
- Pardo earned the complete game shutout win for Wesleyan as she allowed five hits, no walks and struck out two.
- For the visitors, Nicol went 2-2 on the afternoon and also stole a base.
- The Cardinals will return to the diamond on Tuesday, April 12 as they will travel to Willimantic, Conn. to take on the Eastern Connecticut St. Warriors. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
- The Continentals will return to action on Wednesday, April 13 as they will travel to Union College to take on the Dutchwomen in doubleheader action. Game one is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m.