Score: Game 1: Wesleyan 11, MCLA 3 (5 innings); Game 2: Wesleyan 9, Union 0 (5 innings)
Records: Wesleyan (4-4); MCLA (0-7); Union (2-2)
Location: Clermont, Fla.
Date: Sunday, March 19th
Time: 9 a.m. / 11:30 a.m.
The Lead: The offense scored 20 runs while the pitching staff allowed just three as the Wesleyan University softball team cruised to two wins against MCLA (11-3) and Union (9-0) on Sunday morning in Clermont, Fla.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals sent 10 batters to the plate in the bottom of the first as they put up five runs in the inning. Jamie Hom '17 doubled home two runs, while Rachel Kantor '19 and Kendall Carr '19 also singled home runs.
- Wesleyan scored twice more in the fourth to make the score 7-0. Olivia Gorman '19 was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning, and was able to steal second and score on an error. Julie McDonald '18 would then double and score on a single by Rielly Wieners '18.
- MCLA put up three runs in the top of the fifth to bring them to within four runs. Ericka Quackenbush doubled home two runs and would later score to make the score 7-3.
- The Cardinals would seal the game with four runs in the bottom of the fifth. Christina Zaccardi '17 would come around to score on an error, while Gorman, Rachel Curran '20 and Hom would all notch RBIs in the inning to give Wesleyan the 11-3 win.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Carr and Curran would single home runs in the top of the first to give the Cardinals the 2-0 lead.
- Wesleyan would extend its lead in the top of the third on RBI doubles from Wieners and Hom.
- In the top of the fourth, Wieners, Hom, Jenna Putala '20 and Carr would all knock in runs to make the score 9-0.
- The nine runs would be more than enough for McDonald, who pitched a complete game one hitter. She struck out four and walked none to earn the shutout victory.
- The Cardinals return to the diamond on Tuesday, March 21st as they will face Wisc.-Stevens Point at 9 a.m. followed by Buffalo St. at 11:30 a.m.