MINNEOLA, Fla. – The Wesleyan softball team edged Bridgewater State 4-3, before earning a come from behind 7-3 victory over Smith on Thursday morning.
The Cardinals will have a day off on Friday, before taking on No. 12 Rowan at 4:00 p.m., before playing Western New England at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday night.
BRIDGEWATER STATE VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bridgewater State jumped out to an early lead in the opening game of the day. Samantha Mulcahy stole third, before plating a run on a bunt by Alexandra Ruprecht for a 1-0 edge.
- The Cardinals quickly responded, taking a 2-1 lead in the next half inning. Lauren Gaffney-Gomez touched home on a throwing error, before Marina Williams scored on the next play on a passed ball.
- The Bears tied the game 2-2 in the top of the second when a sacrifice fly by Emma Healy brought Megan Sharon home, before an error by the shortstop in the following inning allowed Meghan Navarro to score.
- Trailing 3-2 in the fourth, Wesleyan tied the game 3-3 when Danielle Rinaldi touched home.
- The Cardinals scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh. Alyssa DaDilva pinch hit, reaching and advancing to second on an error. A sacrifice bunt by Alexis Campbell allowed DaSilva to advance to third, before DaSilva crossed the plate on a hit down the left line by Gaffney-Gomez.
BRIDGEWATER STATE VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gaffney-Gomez (1-1) went the distance for Wesleyan, allowing just one hit (no runs) and three strikeouts.
- Brenna Monroe hit a double for the Cardinals, as Gaffney-Gomez and Campbell both earned an RBI.
- Kelley Reichert suffered the loss for Bridgewater St. as she allowed four runs on eight hits.
- Healy and Ruprecht both recorded an RBI, while Megan Sharon hit a double.
SMITH VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the second, Smith's Makena Wagner hit a double to center field, driving home Stephanie Konas and Jocelyn Esquer. Two plays later, Wagner advance to third on a wild pitch, as Rachael Newhall touched home plate for the 3-0 advantage.
- Wesleyan cracked the game open in the top of the fifth and never looked back.
- With the bases loaded, a single to center field by Martina Williams brought home Kendall Mancuso, before a fielding error allowed Gaffney-Gomez to score. A wild pitch allowed Olivia Gorman to score on the next play, before JoJo Diaz and Williams crossed home plate on a throwing error, making it 5-3.
- Three plays later, Sophia Sciarappa touched home on a sacrifice fly to right field by Kendall Carr, before Campbell scored on a single to left field by Mancuso for the 7-3 final.
- The Pioneers threatened in the bottom of the sixth with runners on first and third, but they were unable to plate a run.
SMITH VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gaffney-Gomez picked up her second win of the day with four strikeouts over seven innings of work and just three runs on 11 hits.
- Wesleyan's Sciarappa went 2-4 with two RBI's, while Campbell also had two RBI.
- Jessica Flohr suffered the loss for the Pioneers, allowing seven runs on seven hits over four innings.
- Smith's Wagner went 4-4 with two RBI and a double, while Feeney and Newhall each recorded a double.