CLERMONT, Fla. – The Wesleyan softball team (5-4) dropped its first game of the day 8-0 to the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (3-7), but bounced back, picking up a 5-2 victory over Ripon (4-4) in its second game of the day. The Cardinals will enjoy a day off on Tuesday, before taking on Rutgers-Camden on Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. and MCLA at noon.
UWSP VS. WESLEYAN - HIGHLIGHTS:
- UW-Stevens Point opened the scoring in the top of the second. Three singles loaded the bases, before Haley Barnes and Madi Greenaberg touched home for the 2-0 lead.
- The pointers added scores by Maddie Candre and Lauren Luedtke in the top of the third, before a triple to right center by Morgan Johnson drove in three runs to make it 7-0.
- UW-Stevens Point added a final run in the top of the fourth for the final 8-0 victory.
UWSP VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Danielle Rinaldi suffered the loss for Wesleyan allowing seven runs on six hits over three innings of work.
- Pointers' Haley Barnes threw a five-inning no-hitter, including two strikeouts.
- Johnson recorded a triple and three RBI's, while Candre also hit a triple for UW-Stevens Point.
RIPON VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan jumped out to a 4-0 advantage in the top of the second. Singles by Kendall Carr and Courtney Collins-Pisano drove home Sophia Sciarappa and Rinaldi, before Carr touched home two plays later and Collins-Pisano later scored on a passed ball for the four-run advantage.
- In the top of the fourth, Kendall Mancuso hit a double to left center, before advancing to third on a passed ball. On the next play, Mancuso crossed home plate on a sacrifice bunt by Alexis Campbell for the 5-0 lead.
- Ripon threatened in the bottom of the sixth. Julia Sanchez hit a single through the left side, before later touching home. A sacrifice fly to right field by Natzke drove in Campbell, but that was as close as the Red Hawks would get, as Wesleyan hung on for the 5-2 triumph.
RIPON VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lauren Gaffney-Gomez earned the win for the Cardinals, allowing no runs on just four hits with four strikeouts over five innings of work.
- Rinaldi went 2-3, while Campbell had two RBI and Brenna Monroe and Mancuso both had a double.
- Cortney Bols suffered the loss for Ripon, allowing all five runs on six hits over six innings.
- Morgenroth went 2-3 with an RBI, while Natzke also had an RBI.