CLERMONT, Fla. – The Wesleyan softball team (6-5) dropped its first game of the day 7-1 to Rutgers-Camden (3-2), but bounced back to triumph 3-1 over MCLA (1-6) in its second contest. The Cardinals will conclude their spring break trip on Thursday with a game against SUNY Cobleskill at 9:00 a.m., before taking on Endicott at 1:30 p.m.
- Rutgers-Camden got on the board in the top of the second with two outs when they scored a pair of unearned runs.
- The Raptors double their lead in the top of the third to make it 4-0. Alexis Davis singled, Kimmy Musarra walked and Jordan Howey singled to load the bases, before Davis and Howey later crossed the plate.
- Back-to-back doubles by Kendra Pfister and Marissa Beebe drove in a pair of runs in the top of the fifth, as Rutgers-Camden extended its lead to 6-0.
- Wesleyan threatened in the bottom of the sixth. Jo Jo Diaz walked, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Olivia Gorman, and reached third from a single by Danielle Rinaldi. On the next play, Sophia Sciarappa singled to left field to drive Diaz in, but that was as close as they would get.
- The Raptors added a final run in the top of the seventh for the 7-1 final.
RUTGERS-CAMDEN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Rinaldi suffered the loss for the Cardinals, allowing four runs on five hits while striking out three over four innings.
- Sciarappa went 2-3 with an RBI, while Kendall Carr recorded a double.
- For Rutgers-Camden, Sarah Byrnes allowed one run and four hits, while striking out seven over seven innings of work to pick up the win.
- Pfister went 2-3 with a double and two RBI, while Beebe hit a double and recorded an RBI.
- MCLA threatened in the bottom of the first with two runners on base, but were unable to score.
- Wesleyan's Sciarappa scored on a wild pitch in the top of the second, before Carr touched home for the 2-0 lead.
- The Trailblazers got on the board in the bottom of the third when Erika Quackenbush crossed the plate on a double by Kaylyn Holliday.
- The Cardinals added a run in the top of the seventh. Maddie Ikeda, Olivia Gorman, and Courtney Collins-Pisano each singled to load the bases, before Ikeda touched home on a fielder's choice to make it 3-1.
- Kara Adams doubled to lead off the seventh for MCLA, but was stranded on second as Wesleyan held on for the 3-1 win.
MCLA – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lauren Gaffney-Gomez picked up the win for the Cardinals allowing just one run on six hits, while striking out nine over seven innings of work.
- Ikeda went 2-3, while Carr went 2-4 and Rinaldi and Kendall Mancuso each had an EBI for Wesleyan.
- Adams suffered the loss for MCLA allowing two runs on three hits over two innings.
- Holliday went 3-3, had a double and an RBI, while Adams added a double.