NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wesleyan softball team (8-7) downed Coast Guard 12-7 in its first game of the night, before being edged 2-1 by the Bears (9-7) in game two.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Coast Guard jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first on a sacrifice fly by Courtney McKenna, a bases loaded walk to Maggie Perer and an RBI ground out by Julia Ferris.
- With runners on first and third in the top of the second, Wesleyan's Lauren Gaffney-Gomez hit a homer to center field to knot the game 3-3.
- In the bottom of the third, Audrey Bartz homered to give Coast Guard a 4-3 edge.
- The Cardinals knotted the game 4-4 in the top of the fifth when Olivia Gorman crossed home on a fielder's choice.
- With runners on second and third in the top of the sixth, Wesleyan's Courtney Collins-Pisano bunted to drive in Gaffney-Gomez. Later, a homer to center field by Sophia Sciarappa drove in Collins-Pisano and Maddie Ikeda to make it 8-4.
- The Cardinals added three runs in the top of the seventh to extend their advantage. Collins-Pisano singled to drive in Ikeda, before later touching home on a double by Gorman. Kendall Mancuso hit a homer later, making it 12-4.
- Coast Guard got three runs back in the bottom of the seventh, but that was as close as they would get as Wesleyan triumphed 12-7 over the Bears.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Danielle Rinaldi picked up the win for the Cardinals, allowing four runs on six hits with three strikeouts over five innings.
- Gorman went 4-5 with a double and an RBI, while Ikeda went 2-4 with a double and Gaffney-Gomez went 1-2 with a homer and three RBI. Sciarappa had four RBI and a home run, while Mancuso had a homer and two RBI.
- Julia Ferris suffered the loss for Coast Guard, allowing 11 runs on 12 hits over six innings of work.
- Bartz went 3-3 with a homer and an RBI, while McKenna went 2-3 with an RBI and Maggie Perez added two RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Bears opened the scoring in the third on an RBI single by McKenna, before the Cardinals tied the game on a sacrifice fly by Gorman in the fifth.
- In the bottom of the seventh, a sacrifice fly by Coast Guard's Charlee Kraiss drove in Carly Hattman for the game-winning run, as the Bears edged Wesleyan 2-1.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gaffney-Gomez went the distance for the Cardinals, allowing just two runs on eight hits, while striking out four over six innings of work.
- Mancuso and Rinaldi both had a double, while Collins-Pisano had a triple and Gorman had one RBI.
- Sydney Arendt picked up the win for Coast Guard, allowing just one run on five hits.
- McKenna went 2-3 with an RBI, while Carly Hattman went 2-4.