AMHERST, Mass. – The Wesleyan softball team (8-10, 0-3) fell by scores of 5-0 and 4-0 to Little Three rival Amherst (12-3, 3-0) in doubleheader action on Saturday.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Mammoths jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. A double down the left field line by Sage Innerarity drove in Nicole Trezza, before Innerarity touched home on a sacrifice fly and Audrey Hansen scored on a wild pitch.
- Amherst increased the lead in the bottom of the second when Innerarity hit a homer to left center, recording two RBI and extending the Mammoth lead to 5-0.
- The Cardinals were held scoreless the entire game as Amherst cruised to the 5-0 victory.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Danielle Rinaldi suffered the loss the Cardinals, allowing five runs on five hits over two innings of work.
- Wesleyan's Marina Williams went 2-3 with a double.
- Amherst's Lorena Ukanwa went the distance for the Mammoths, pitching seven scoreless innings, while allowing five hits and recording five strikeouts.
- Innerarity went 2-3 with three RBI, a homer and a double, while Trezza and Kyra Naftel also went 2-3 and Kate Kopatic recorded an RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Amherst grabbed a 1-0 edge in the bottom of the third when a sacrifice fly by Hansen drove home Naftel.
- The Cardinals threatened in the top of the fifth when Maddie Ikeda walked and stole second, before Olivia Gorman walked, but Wesleyan was unable to plate a run.
- The Mammoths cracked the game open in the bottom of the sixth inning, scoring three runs. Ronnie Falasco doubled down the left field line to bring home Sammy Salustri, before Andrea Sanders scored on a sacrifice fly and Falasco touched home on a wild pitch to make it 4-0.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Lauren Gaffney-Gomez suffered the loss allowing one run on five hits over five innings of work.
- Courtney Collins-Pisano went 2-3 for the Cardinals.
- Talia Bloxham pitched seven scoreless innings for Amherst, allowing just four hits.
- Trezza went 3-3, while Falasco went 2-3 with a double and an RBI. Salustri also batted 2-3.
UP NEXT: The Cardinals host Eastern Connecticut State on Wednesday for a doubleheader beginning at 3:00 p.m.