MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan softball team (8-12) dropped a doubleheader against Eastern Connecticut State University (15-5) by scores of 9-3 and 5-3 on Wednesday.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Warriors cracked the game open in the top of the third. Alexis Tyrrell and Laure Zenk scored a pair of unearned runs, before a double by Jackie Lewis drove in Brooke Matyasovsky and Sara Pisanelli to make it 4-0. Later, back-to-back walks brought home Lewis and Grace Leone for the 6-0 advantage.
- In the top of the sixth, ECSU's Sabrina LeMere singled, Tyrrell bunted and Zenk bunted to load the bases, before Tyrell and LeMere touched home on a single down the left field line by Pisanelli. Later, Zenk crossed home plate to make it 9-0.
- Wesleyan got back three runs in its half of the inning. Olivia Gorman singled and Courtney Collins-Pisano walked, before a double through the left side by Kendall Mancuso brought home both runners. Later, Mancuso touched home on a double by Brenna Monroe, cutting the deficit to 9-3, but that was as close as the Cardinals would get.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Danielle Rinaldi suffered the loss, allowing six runs on five hits over two innings.
- Gorman went 2-4 with a double, while Mancuso went 1-2 with a double and two RBI.
- Morgan Sanson picked up the win for the Warriors, allowing three runs on six hits, while striking out three over six innings of work.
- Matyasovsky went 2-3 with an RBI, while Pisanelli went 2-4 with two RBI and Zenk went 2-4.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- ECSU's LeMere led off the top of the third with a triple to left center, before touching home on a sacrifice bunt by Megan Hodgdon for the 1-0 edge. Later, Calli Duthrie scored on a passed ball, before a single by Lewis brought in Tyrell to make it 3-0.
- The Cardinals threatened in their half of the inning when Lauren Gaffney-Gomez hit a triple to right field, but Wesleyan was unable to plate a run.
- Wesleyan's Collins-Pisano led off the bottom of the fourth with a single through the right side, before advancing to third on a single by Sophia Sciarappa. On the next play, Collins-Pisano stole home to put the Cardinals on the board, as Sciarappa advanced to third. Later, Sciarappa cut the deficit to one (3-2) when she scored on a wild pitch.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Wesleyan's Gaffney-Gomez blasted her second triple of the game, but was left stranded.
- With runners on second and third in the top of the sixth, ECSU's Duthrie and Hodgdon touched home on a single by Lewis, extending the Warrior advantage to 5-2.
- Rinaldi walked, Sciarappa singled and Monroe walked to load the bases for the Cardinals in the top of the sixth. Rinaldi later crossed home on a fielder's choice to make it 5-3, but the Warriors were able to hang on for the win.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Gaffney-Gomez suffered the loss, allowing three runs on eight hits while striking out two over five innings. Despite the loss, she went a perfect 3-3 with two triples.
- In the circle, Haleigh Cardello picked up the win for ECSU, allowing three runs on five hits over five innings of work.
- Lewis went 2-4 with three RBI's, while Duthrie went 2-3 and LeMere had a triple.
- The Cardinals will hit the road for a NESCAC West series at Hamilton this weekend. The first game will be Friday at 5:00 p.m.