CLINTON, N.Y. – The Wesleyan softball team (9-13, 1-4) opened a three-game NESCAC West series with a doubleheader split against Hamilton (17-6, 1-4) on Saturday after. The Cardinals and the Continentals will play their final game of the series on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan jumped out to a quick 1-0 edge in the top of the first when Danielle Rinaldi hit a sacrifice fly to center field to drive home Lauren Gaffney-Gomez.
- The Continentals responded in their half of the inning when Caitlin Berreitter touched home, before a single up the middle drove in Ashleigh Yzaguirre for the 2-1 lead.
- The Cardinals answered in the top of the second when Kendall Carr crossed home on a single by Courtney Collins-Pisano, before Gaffney-Gomez crossed home on a single from Rinaldi for the 3-2 edge.
- Wesleyan added a run in the fifth when a double by Gaffney-Gomez brought home Carr.
- Hamilton made it a tie game in its half of the inning when Yzaguirre touched home, before a double by Kendall Searcy drove home Fraser. Later, Searcy touched home on a triple by Helen Lin to knot the game 5-5.
- Wesleyan took a one-run lead in the top half of the seventh with a walk and a hit. Olivia Gorman hit a one-out single, moved to second on a walk, stole third and later scored on Lauren Gaffney-Gomez's fielder's choice for the 6-5 edge.
- Hamilton's Vicky Dunn kicked off the bottom of the seventh with a single through the left side, before scoring on a triple by Ashleigh Yzaguirre. Later, Emily Fraser ripped a walk-off single up the middle to secure the 7-6 Continental victory.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gaffney-Gomez suffered the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits while striking out four over four innings of work. Despite the loss, she went 2-4 with three RBI and a double.
- Wesleyan's Carr also went 2-4, while Gorman was 1-2 and Rinaldi added two RBI.
- Hamilton's Morgan Hartranft came away with the win, allowing four runs on six hits over three innings.
- Yzaguirre went a perfect 3-3 with two triples and an RBI, while Fraser was 3-4 with three RBI and Lin was 2-3 with a triple.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Hamilton opened the scoring in the bottom of the first when a fielder's choice bunt by Yzaguirre allowed Caitlin Berreitter to score.
- In the top of the fourth, Rinaldi touched home on a wild pitch to knot the game 1-1.
- In Wesleyan's next at-bat, Alyssa DaSilva doubled before touching home. Later, a single by Sophia Sciarappa brought home Collins-Pisano for the 4-1 lead.
- The Continentals cut the deficit to one (4-3) in their half of the inning when a single by Fraser brought home Vicky Dunn, before Yzaguirre crossed home on a sacrifice fly by Searcy.
- The Cardinals increased their lead in the top of the seventh and never looked back. With the bases loaded, Gaffney-Gomez scored and Collins-Pisano scored on a pair of wild pitches, before Sciarappa scored on a fielder's choice. Later, Maddie Ikeda singled to center to drive in Gorman and Carr, as Wesleyan cruised to a 9-3 victory.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Rinaldi earned the win for the Cardinals allowing three runs on seven hits, while striking out four over five innings of work. She also went 2-3 with a double.
- Sciarappa went 2-3 with two RBI, while Ikeda had two RBI.
- Dez DePaulis suffered the loss for Hamilton, allowing three runs on five hits over five innings.
- Berreitter and Dunn went 2-4 for the Continentals.