CLINTON, N.Y - The Wesleyan softball team lost a pitching duel on Sunday afternoon against Hamilton in NESCAC action, 1-0.
With the loss, the Cardinals dropped to 9-14 overall and 1-5 in league play. The Continentals improved to 18-6 and 2-4.
- In the bottom of the third, Caitlin Berreitter hit a one-out triple to left field. After an infield pop out on the next at-bat, Ashleah Yzaguirre hit a grounder to third base, Brenna Monroe bobbled the ball briefly but was able to throw out Yzaguirre in time to end the inning and keep the runner stranded on third.
- Emily Fraser led off with a walk in the top of the fourth. She then reached second on a sacrifice bunt and third on an infield ground out to the pitcher. With two outs, Kendall Searcy brought her home with a single through the left side.
- Wesleyan was held hitless until the top of the sixth, when Sciarappa hit a two-out double off the wall in left field.
- The Cardinals would get one more hit in the top of the seventh but were unable to tie the game as the Continentals held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lauren Gaffney-Gomez recorded Wesleyan's second hit with a single in the seventh. Danielle Rinaldi started in the circle and threw four innings, allowing one run on four hits with just one walk.
- Four different players recorded a hit for Hamilton and Morgan Hartranft recorded the win in 6.2 innings of work, allowing just two hits, no runs, and one strikeout.
- Wesleyan is back in action next weekend and will host a three-game series against Middlebury. Game one is scheduled for Friday, April 12 at 5 p.m.