MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan softball team (9-15, 1-6) fell 19-6 to Middlebury (8-9, 1-3) in game one of a NESCAC West series on Friday. The Cardinals and the Panthers will play two games on Saturday, beginning at noon.
- Wesleyan took a 1-0 edge in the first Lauren Gaffney-Gomez singled and scored on a double to center by Sophia Sciarappa.
- Middlebury took a 3-1 lead with three runs in the top of the second inning. Sophia Marlino doubled to right and scored on a double to center by Jen McGann. After a single through the left side by Olivia Bravo and a bunt single from Sophia Bolinger loaded the bases, Emily Moore drove in Marlino with a base hit to left. Melanie Mandell followed, ripping a double down the left-field line to plate a pair of runs.
- The Panthers added a run in the third and extended the lead to 6-1 in the fourth when Marlino drove in two runs with a single up the middle.
- Wesleyan got things going in the bottom half of the inning with back-to-back singles from Kendall Mancuso and Brenna Monroe. Maddie Ikeda drove in a run with an infield single, while Courtney Collins-Pisano hit a two-run double to left center to make it a 6-4 game.
- Middlebury cracked the game open with five runs in the sixth inning. Moore dropped a double on the line in left to drive in a pair of runs, making it 8-4. Noelle Ruschil walked with the bases loaded, before a two-run single down the right-field line by Liza Tarr gave the Panthers an 11-4 advantage.
- Wesleyan scored twice in the sixth, as Gaffney-Gomez walked and scored on a wild pitch, before Danielle Rinaldi, who had walked, crossed the plate on a groundout.
- With the bases loaded in the seventh, Middlebury's Moore hit a grand-slam home run to increase the lead to 15-6. Later, Sara Tobias hit a two-run single to center, driving in a pair of runs. The visitors added four more runs to make it a 19-6 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gaffney-Gomez suffered the loss in the circle for the hosts.
- Ikeda went 3-4 to pace the Cardinals, while Sciarappa and Monroe were each 2-3.
- Middlebury's Irene Margiotta picked up the win, allowing four earned runs over seven innings of work.
- For the Panthers, Moore went 3-7 with a double, homer, six RBI and two runs scored, while Mandell had a 3-4 game with a double, two RBI and three runs scored. Marlino and Tobias were each 2-3 with a double and two runs scored.