Score: No. 2 Amherst 56, Wesleyan 30
Records: Wesleyan (1-2); No. 2 Amherst (3-0)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gymnasium)
Date: Tuesday, November 22
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team outscored No. 2 Amherst College in the second half, 20-19, but the halftime deficit was too large to overcome as the Cardinals fell to Amherst in a non-conference matchup, 56-30.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan won the opening tip and Maeve Vitale '18 hit a lay-up 12 seconds later to put the Cardinals up 2-0.
- However, a lay-up and a pair of free throws from Hannah Hackley shortly after gave Amherst the lead and the visitor's would never look back.
- Amherst went on a run to close out the first quarter, and continued to increase its lead in the second en route to a 36-11 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan went on a 9-0 run in the third quarter, behind three-pointers from Lauren Gaj '17 and Ava Tompkins '20 to get within 12, 46-24.
- Amherst, however, responded with a run of its own and scored six unanswered to put the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tompkins went 2-for-2 from downtown to score a team-high six points, while Chynna Bailey '19 led the Cardinals with five rebounds and three assists.
- Despite the score, Wesleyan's defense held Amherst to a mere 9.5% (2-21) shooting from behind-the-arc.
- The Purple & White were led by Ali Doswell and Madeline Eck who scored 10 points each. Eck added eight rebounds, while Meredith Doswell grabbed a game-high nine. JJ Daniell recorded four steals to lead all players defensively.
- Wesleyan returns to the court Sunday, Nov. 27 as they head to Drew for a 2 p.m. contest.