Score: Drew 71, Wesleyan 61
Records: Wesleyan (1-3); Drew (2-2)
Location: Madison, N.J. (Baldwin Gymnasium)
Date: Sunday, November 27
Time: 2 p.m.
The Lead: Olivia Gorman '19 scored a career-high 21 points, but the Wesleyan University women's basketball team fell to non-conference opponent Drew University Sunday, 71-61.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Drew came out hot to start the game and jumped out to a 14-4 lead in the first 5:59 of play.
- Wesleyan cut into the deficit though and a lay-up by Gorman at the 1:28 mark put the Cardinals within three. However, a basket by Ally Raulf with :07 remaining in the first quarter gave the Rangers a 19-14 lead after one.
- A lay-up and three-pointer from Gorman knotted the game at 19-19, and a three-pointer from Maeve Vitale '18 put the Cardinals ahead for the first time in the game at the 7:14 mark of the second quarter, 22-21.
- Wesleyan would lead the rest of the second, and led by as much as five.
- Maddie Bledsoe '18 scored with time running out in the half to give the visitor's a 31-28 lead at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Drew regained a lead at the 8:03 mark of the third quarter after a three-pointer from Hannah Miller put the Rangers up, 34-33.
- The third went back-and-forth often and featured four ties and four lead changes.
- Gorman gave the Cardinals their largest lead of the game at the 2:10 mark, 43-36.
- However, the Rangers went on an 11-0 run down the stretch to take a 47-43 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- Wesleyan led for much for the fourth but Drew, once again, went on a late rally to pull away.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan held a 43-33 edge in rebounding and outscored Drew in the paint, 32-22.
- Gorman was the lone Cardinal in double-figures. She also grabbed six rebounds, while Tara Berger '19 pulled in a game-high nine boards. Bledsoe led all players with six assists.
- Drew was led by Miller, who scored a game-high 27 points, while Sam Lane and Michaela Keegan scored 15 and 10, respectively. Lane also pulled in a team-high six rebounds and Courtney Trzasko led the team in assists with four.
- Wesleyan returns to the court Tuesday, Nov. 29 and will play at Manhattanville. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.