Score: Wesleyan 75, Worcester State 42
Records: Wesleyan (3-3); Worcester State (3-4)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gym)
Date: Friday, December 2
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: Four players scored in double-figures for the Wesleyan University women's basketball team as the Cardinals cruised to a commanding 75-42 win over Worcester State University Friday night in game one of the Courtyard by Marriott Tournament.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan from the opening tip as the Cardinals opened the game on an 8-0 run in the first 2:25 of play. A three by Olivia Gorman '19 minutes later put the home team ahead 12-1 at the 5:09 mark.
- The Lancers got within seven, but Wesleyan scored four unanswered in the final :22 of the first quarter to take a 18-7 lead after one.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead in the second quarter and went off for 24 points, including the first six to cap off a 10-0 run.
- After a jumper by Bianca Langford at the 7:30 mark got Worcester State within 13, Wesleyan responded with a 13-6 run to go ahead by 20.
- A three from Maeve Vitale '19 and a lay-up by Gorman in the closing seconds gave the Cardinals a 42-19 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan continued its dominance in the third quarter and opened the second half on a 9-2 run as a three-pointer from Gorman put the home team ahead, 51-31.
- The Cardinals would go on to take a 57-28 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- Wesleyan outscored the Lancers 18-14 in the final 10 minutes of play to cruise to the victory and advance to the championship game of the tournament.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gorman led all players with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting, while Bledsoe, Vitale and Tara Berger '19 joined her in double-figures. Bledsoe added 13, Vitale scored 12 and Berger dropped 11.
- Vitale also grabbed a game-high eight rebounds and recorded a game-high four steals, while Danielle Gervacio '17 dished out four assists.
- Britt Herring was the lone player in double-figures for Worcester State as she finished with 10 points. Kaitlyn Berkel led the team in rebounding with five boards and Brianna Hackett registered four assists.
- Wesleyan led the entire game and outscored the Lancers in the paint, 34-18. The Cardinals also did not allow a three-pointer.
- Wesleyan will play in the Championship Game of the Courtyard by Marriott Tournament against Skidmore College tomorrow at 3 p.m.
- Worcester State will face Keene State College in the Consolation Game at 1 p.m.