Score: Colby 55, Wesleyan 38
Records: Wesleyan (7-15, 1-9 NESCAC); Colby (12-11, 4-6 NESCAC)
Location: Waterville, Maine
Date: Saturday, February 11
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team's 2016-17 season came to an end Saturday afternoon as the Cardinals dropped a NESCAC road game against Colby College, 55-38.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing by four with less than five minutes remaining in the first quarter, a three-pointer by Maeve Vitale '18 cut the deficit to one at the 4:46 mark.
- However, the Cardinals were held scoreless the rest of the way as Colby scored five unanswered to take a 14-8 lead entering the second quarter.
- The Mules took a double-digit lead with 8:10 remaining following a jumper by Ainsley Burns, which gave the home team a 20-9 advantage.
- Colby continued to increase its lead and took a 32-18 lead into halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Despite a strong second half performance by the Cardinals, the first half deficit proved to be too much to overcome.
- Freshman Ava Tompkins hit a three-pointer with :03 on the clock as Wesleyan trailed 45-29 after three quarters.
- The closest the Cardinals got the rest of the way was 14 points on several occasions as Colby cruised to the 55-38 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tompkins and Kadijah Mathews '18 led the team in scoring with seven points each coming off the bench. Heidi Scarth '20 grabbed a team-high six rebounds, and Lauren Gaj '17 and Maddie Bledsoe '18 dished out two assists each. Tara Berger '19 finished with six points, three blocks and four rebounds.
- Emily Davis led all players with 17 points, while MK Caverly and Burns scored 10 apiece. Caverly also grabbed a game-high nine rebounds.
- Wesleyan outrebounded the Mules, 42-31.