TROY, N.Y. – The Wesleyan University women's basketball team made a statement in its first game of the 2017-18 season as the Cardinals cruised to a commanding 79-47 win over Salem State in the RPI Tip-Off Tournament Friday night. Olivia Gorman '19 and Maddie Bledsoe '18 led the way with 16 and 15 points, respectively.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Maeve Vitale '18 hit a three-pointer just 20 seconds into the game to put the Cardinals on the board first, and they never looked back.
- Wesleyan led 17-10 after one.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead in the second quarter as they outscored Salem State 24-13 to take a 41-23 lead at the break.
- Bledsoe led all players with 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting in the first half while also grabbing eight boards.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the third quarter. The Cardinals went on a 12-0 run to pull ahead by 28 with 5:45 remaining. They outscored the Vikings 20-8 in the third.
- With a 30-point lead entering the fourth quarter, the game was out of reach for Salem State as Wesleyan claimed the decisive 79-47 victory.
- Gorman scored nine of her game-high 16 points in the final 20 minutes of regulation.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan shot 44.1% (30-68) from the floor and 50% (9-18) from three-point range. The Cardinals held a commanding 55-29 edge in rebounding and 30-6 advantage in points in the paint.
- All 11 players that played for Wesleyan scored. Kadijah Mathews '19 added nine points with a game-high four assists, while Bledsoe led all players with nine boards. Tara Berger '19 scored seven points, grabbed eight rebounds and blocked five shots.
- The Vikings were led by Norma Waggett's 10 points. She was the only player in double-figures for Salem State. Kia Fernandes pulled in a team-high five rebounds and blocked two shots.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow, Nov. 18 to face Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences in the second day of the RPI Tip-Off Tournament. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m.