MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Five players scored in double-figures for the Wesleyan University women's basketball team as the Cardinals cruised to a commanding 98-22 win over Maine-Presque Isle Friday night on the first day of the Courtyard by Marriott Tournament. Wesleyan improves to 4-1 overall on the year while the Owls drop to 0-4.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals held UMPI scoreless in the first quarter and led 20-0 after the first 10 minutes of action.
- Wesleyan dropped 32 points in the second quarter and took a 52-7 lead into the break.
- Olivia Gorman '19 led all players at halftime with nine points on 4-of-8 shooting. Maddie Bledsoe '18 was 3-of-3 for seven points and added three assists and three boards.
- The home team shot 53.7% from the floor and held the Owls to one field goal attempt in the first 20 minutes of action. Wesleyan also forced 21 turnovers.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The lead continued to grow in the second half as the Cardinals outscored UMPI 25-6 in the third and 21-9 in the fourth en route to the decisive victory.
- Eleven different players scored for Wesleyan in the final 20 minutes of regulation as a trio of freshman—Emma Roush, Ericka Ekhator and Katy O'Connor—led the way with six points each.
- The Cardinals shot 51.4% in the second half and forced 12 turnovers while holding the visitors to 25% shooting.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- For the game, the Cardinals went 41-of-78 (52.6%) from the floor and 7-of-17 (41.2%) from downtown. They held a 54-24 edge in rebounding and forced 33 turnovers while only turning the ball over 13 times. UMPI was 6-of-41 (14.6%) shooting and 1-11 (9.1%) from behind-the-arc.
- Gorman led all players with 13 points and five steals. O'Connor recorded her first career double-double with 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Roush added 10 points, Bledsoe scored 11 on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting, and Heidi Scarth '20 dropped 10 while pulling in eight boards. Chynna Bailey '19 and Ava Tompkins '20 led all players with five assists each.
- Rhylee Wright had a team-high eight points and five boards for the Owls while also blocking a game-high three shots. Marissa Reagle had four points, four steals and three rebounds.
- Wesleyan will play Westfield State (4-1) in the Championship Game of the Courtyard by Marriott Tournament tomorrow at 3 p.m. The Owls defeated Valley Forge 95-65 to advance to the finals.