NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Wesleyan University women's basketball team rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit to defeat the University of Dubuque Friday at the Music City Classic, 66-54. Maeve Vitale '18 led the team with a game-high 17 points while adding five rebounds as the Cardinals improved to 7-2 overall. With the loss, the Spartans fall to 2-9 on the season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan jumped out to a 9-2 lead following a lay-up from Olivia Gorman '19 at the 7:14 mark.
- Allison Roach cut the deficit to two, 14-12, with 3:02 to play in the first quarter but a lay-up by Vitale with just :25 remaining gave the Cardinals a 16-12 lead after one.
- Dubuque rallied in the second quarter. With 5:13 remaining before the break, a three-pointer by Kennedy Collins gave the Spartans their first lead of the game up 24-23.
- They would eventually go into halftime with a 35-26 advantage as they outscored the Cardinals 23-10 in the second.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan scored an incredible 15 unanswered points to start the third quarter as Maddie Bledsoe '18 capped off the run with a three-pointer at the 3:14 mark to give the Cardinals a 41-35 lead.
- Wesleyan led 45-42 entering the fourth as it held Dubuque to just seven points in 10 minutes.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead down the stretch as a three-pointer by Ava Tompkins '20 with 6:09 remaining put Wesleyan ahead by double-digits, 56-46.
- Wesleyan outscored the Spartans 21-12 in the fourth quarter en route to the comeback victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Vitale scored 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting. She was joined in double-figures by Gorman who dropped 16 and dished out four assists. Kadijah Mathews '18 registered four assists as well and Bledsoe fell one point shy of a double-double as she scored nine points and grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds. Tara Berger '20 pulled in 10 boards and blocked six shots, and Chynna Bailey '20 grabbed nine rebounds.
- Lexi Daniels was the lone Spartan to score in double-figures as she dropped a team-high 15 points off the bench. Cece Pope registered a team-high nine rebounds and three assists.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow, Dec. 30 and will play Goucher at 2 p.m.