PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Tara Berger '19 recorded a double-double with 19 points on 8-of-12 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds, while also blocking two shots, as the Wesleyan University women's basketball team cruised to a 73-54 non-conference win over Rhode Island College Tuesday night.
The Cardinals led the majority of the game en route to their 14th win of the season as they improve to 14-6 overall. Following the loss, the Anchorwomen drop to 7-12 on the season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both teams exchanged baskets early in the first quarter until a layup by Olivia Gorman '19 at the 8:44 mark put Wesleyan on top—for good.
- The Cardinals went on a 5-0 run capped off by a three-point play by Tara Berger '19 at the 5:45 mark to claim a 13-6 lead.
- With :42 on the clock, Emma Roush '21 hit a three-pointer to give the Cardinals a 19-12 advantage after one.
- At the 7:35 mark of the second quarter, Gorman put Wesleyan on top by double-digits, 27-17.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead as they outscored the Anchorwomen 27-15 in the second en route to a commanding 46-27 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- After some back-and-forth action early in the third quarter, a layup by Heidi Scarth '21 capped off a 5-0 Wesleyan run as the visitors took a 60-36 lead with 2:18 remaining.
- Gorman made a basket with just four seconds on the clock to give the Cardinals a 62-40 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- RIC would get within 16 points several times early in the fourth, but Wesleyan would respond to keep the game out of reach as the Cardinals claimed the 19-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Berger was joined in double-figures by Gorman and Maeve Vitale '18 with 14 and 13 points, respectively. Gorman was 7-of-13 from the floor and Vitale finished 5-of-9 including 3-of-6 from downtown. Ava Tompkins '21 led all players with seven assists.
- The Anchorwomen were led by Ornela Livramento as she dropped 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. She was the lone player on RIC to score in double-figures. Jordyn Gauvin scored eight points with five boards and two assists.
- Wesleyan shot 46.9-percent (30-64) from the floor and held the Anchorwomen to just 29.5-percent (18-61) shooting. The Cardinals controlled the paint, outscoring RIC 40-18 down low.
- Wesleyan is back in action Friday, Feb. 2 and will host in-state NESCAC rival Trinity. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.