SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Senior captains Chynna Bailey and Tara Berger each recorded a double-double on Friday night but the Wesleyan University women's basketball team came up short in a neutral site contest against Cabrini, 69-61. The game was played on the campus of Swarthmore, who the Cardinals will play tomorrow at 3 p.m.
Berger posted game-highs of 22 points and 16 rebounds on 6-of-11 shooting, while also recording three blocks. Bailey finished with 14 points, 10 boards, and three steals.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cavaliers scored the first five points of the game.
- Wesleyan went on a 5-0 run as a layup by Berger cut the deficit to one, 11-10, with 3:50 to play in the first quarter but the Cardinals would trail 16-14 after one.
- Cabrini pulled ahead by nine following a three-pointer by Nomi Washington at the 6:55 mark and led by 10 just over a minute later.
- A pair of free throws by Berger cut the deficit to five with 34 seconds to play in the half, but Washington hit two of her own to give the Cavaliers a 35-28 lead at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the third quarter as it opened on a 10-1 run to claim its first lead of the game, up 38-37 at the 5:44 mark.
- A three-pointer by Emma Roush with 35 seconds on the clock gave the Cardinals a 50-44 lead entering the fourth.
- Wesleyan held its lead early on until a basket by Lexi Edwards put Cabrini up 54-53 with 6:32 to play.
- The Cavaliers maintained its lead and continued to increase the margin as they went on to win by eight, 69-61.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Olivia Gorman totaled nine points and five rebounds. Maddie Clark and Marina Petruzzi made their collegiate debuts and scored three and two points, respectively. Clark added three rebounds and one assist.
- Wesleyan outrebounded Cabrini, 51-44.
- The Cavaliers were led by Washington's 21 points, while Edwards scored 15 and Meghan Matthews dropped 13. Ashley Tutzauer added 10 points off the bench as well, and Gaby Jones totaled a team-high eight boards.