MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Wesleyan University women's basketball team lost a difficult non-conference game to nationally-ranked No. 2 Thomas More in Day 1 of The Exclusive Tournament on Wednesday afternoon at St. Thomas University, 85-49.
Tara Berger led the Cardinals with 11 points as they fell to 4-3 on the year. The Saints remain undefeated at 14-0 as Madison Temple dropped 30 points on 12-of-15 shooting.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Thomas More scored the first five points of the game and never looked back.
- With 1:57 to play in the first quarter, Berger converted a 3-point play to cut the deficit to seven (18-11). However, the Saints outscored Wesleyan 7-2 down the stretch to lead 25-13 after one.
- A layup by Charlotte Lowndes at the 3:49 mark of the second quarter got the Cardinals within 12, but Thomas More scored eight unanswered to go ahead 43-23 at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Saints continued to increase their lead early in the second half.
- A layup by Emily Schultz at the 5:18 mark in the third gave Thomas More a 30-point advantage, essentially putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan outscored the Thomas More bench, 22-18, and held an 11-10 advantage in second chance points. The Saints edged the Cardinals in rebounding, 38-36.
- Olivia Gorman joined Berger in double-figures with 10 points and Chynna Bailey led the team in rebounding (5) and assists (4).
- In addition to her 30 points, Temple also dished out seven assists. Schultz dropped 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting and Shelby Rupp added 14 and a game-high nine rebounds.
- The Cardinals look to bounce back tomorrow when they face Plattsburgh at 11 a.m.