MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Wesleyan University women's basketball team cruised in the second half en route to a decisive 71-39 non-conference win over Plattsburgh State on Thursday afternoon on the final day of The Exclusive Tournament.
The Cardinals outscored Plattsburgh State 48-24 in the final 20 minutes of play as they improved to 5-3 on the year. Olivia Gorman led all scorers with 17 points on 8-of-11 shooting, while Tara Berger recorded a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds. Plattsburgh State was led by Taylor Durnin's nine points as the Cardinals dropped to 3-8.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The first quarter went back-and-forth often with the largest margin just three points.
- Trailing 9-6 with 3:42 to play, Wesleyan closed out the quarter with four unanswered points as a pair of free throws by Katy O'Connor gave the Cardinals a 10-9 advantage after one.
- Chynna Bailey continued the Wesleyan run early in the second quarter as she hit a free throw followed by a 3-pointer to give the Cardinals a five-point lead (14-9).
- A jumper by Kelly Degnan at the 4:53 mark evened the score at 14-14, but Charlotte Lowndes responded with a shot from behind-the-arc and Wesleyan never looked back.
- The Cardinals closed out the half on a 9-1 run as a layup by Olivia Gorman gave them a 23-15 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the second half as the Cardinals scored the first 13 points of the third quarter.
- A layup by Berger at the 5:42 mark capped off a 22-1 run by Wesleyan going back to the first half as it pulled away, 36-15.
- Durnin ended the run at the 5:28 mark and both teams exchanged baskets over the next couple minutes until Wesleyan pulled away late once again and a layup by Bailey with six seconds on the clock gave the Cardinals a commanding 54-28 lead after three quarters.
- It was a similar story in the fourth as Wesleyan opened on an 8-0 run and a jumper by Olivia Gorman extended the lead to 34 with just 7:50 to play, putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Connor joined Berger and Gorman in double-figures as she dropped 12 points. Emma Roush and Ava Tompkins each dished out four assists, and Caleigh Ryan scored nine points on 2-of-3 shooting from downtown.
- Kelly Degnan added seven points for Plattsburgh State, while Bella DePasquale and Kayla Doody each scored six. DePasquale also pulled in a team-high six rebounds and dished out two assists. Durnin added two assists as well.
- Wesleyan shot 48.1% (26-54) from the floor and outrebounded Plattsburgh State 48-31. As a team, Wesleyan dished out 21 assists.
- Wesleyan returns to action after the holidays and will host Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham on Wednesday, Jan. 2 at 5:30 p.m.