JERSEY CITY, N.J. – Four players scored in double-figures, including Caleigh Ryan who scored a team- and season-high 20 points, as the Wesleyan University women's basketball team defeated non-conference foe New Jersey City on the road, 72-65. Ryan also grabbed 10 rebounds for her first career double-double.
Monday night's game featured five ties and six lead changes. With the win, the Cardinals claimed their third victory in the last four games as they improved to 9-6 overall. Four players scored in double-figures for the Gothic Knights as well as they dropped to 4-12.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- At the 8:41 mark of the first, a basket by Tara Berger gave Wesleyan a 4-2 advantage and the visitors would lead the rest of the quarter.
- After some back-and-forth action, a 3-pointer by Ryan bookended by a trey from Marina Petruzzi capped off an 8-2 run as the Cardinals pulled ahead, 17-9.
- However, Meisha Bacon hit a buzzer-beater as the home team trailed by six entering the second quarter.
- New Jersey City slowly cut into the deficit and a 3-pointer by Marajiah Bacon at the 2:24 mark got the home team within two as they trailed, 27-25.
- Less than a minute later, a free throw by Katy O'Connor proved to be the final point of the half as Wesleyan went into the break with a 30-27 lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Gothic Knights opened the second half on a 5-0 run as a 3-pointer by Christine Bizub gave them their first lead of the game up 32-30 with 9:18 on the clock.
- The two teams exchanged baskets throughout the quarter until Wesleyan closed out the third on a 4-0 run as Petruzzi hit a jumper with three seconds remaining to give the visitors a 51-49 lead entering the fourth.
- It was a similar story early in the fourth quarter with the game going back-and-forth.
- With 2:47 to play, a basket by Berger capped off a 7-0 Wesleyan run as the Cardinals led 67-59.
- Roughly two minutes later, a pair of free throws by Chynna Bailey gave Wesleyan a 10-point lead to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In addition to Ryan's 20 points, Berger dropped 15, and Olivia Gorman and Petruzzi each scored 12. Bailey led all players with 13 rebounds and tied a game-high six assists. She also recorded two steals.
- Marajiah Bacon scored a game-high 26 points for the Gothic Knights as she went a perfect 10-for-10 from the line. Teresa Ortiz dropped 13 off the bench, and Miesha Bacon and Bizub scored 11 and 10, respectively. Ortiz also pulled in 10 rebounds for the double-double.
- Wesleyan controlled the glass with a 59-41 advantage and outscored New Jersey City in the paint, 28-14.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Saturday, Jan. 19 and will host Connecticut College at 3 p.m.