NEWARK, N.J. – Marina Petruzzi dropped 19 points and Maddie Clark added 15 as the Wesleyan women's basketball team won its 2019-20 season opener Friday night against FDU-Florham, 65-53 in the Rutgers-Newark Tip-Off Tournament.
Wesleyan never trailed as it opens the year 1-0, while the Devils fall to 1-2. FDU-Florham was led by Jennah Roman's team-high 13 points while Jayda Bing added 12 and eight rebounds.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- With 1:51 to play in the first quarter, a three-pointer by Emma Roush put the Cardinals on top by double-digits, 17-6.
- Bing scored with only two seconds remaining to cut the deficit to nine as Wesleyan led 18-9 after the first 10 minutes of action.
- The Cardinals used a 12-0 run in the second to pull away as Roush capped off the stretch with a free throw at the 3:20 mark, giving Wesleyan a 30-11 lead.
- The Devils closed out the half with five unanswered points as they trailed 32-18 at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan opened the second half with an 8-2 run as Caleigh Ryan hit one from behind-the-arc to extend the lead to 20.
- The rest of the third went back-and-forth often and a lay-up by Katy O'Connor with 57 seconds remaining proved to be the final point of the quarter as Wesleyan led 53-34 entering the fourth.
- FDU-Florham outscored Wesleyan 19-12 in the final 10 minutes of play but the deficit was too much to overcome as the Cardinals claimed the 12-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Connor added eight points and led all players with 13 rebounds. Clark and Ava Tompkins each dished out five assists while Ryan registered four. Ryan also led the team with three steals and Tompkins blocked a game-high two shots.
- Roman led the Devils with two assists and Bing registered three steals.
- Wesleyan held a 52-40 edge in rebounding and outscored FDU-Florham down low, 26-16. The Cardinals also registered 19 assists as a team while the Devils had just four.
- Wesleyan will play the host school, Rutgers-Newark, tomorrow at 3 p.m.