INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Wesleyan women's crew recorded its best finish in program history at the NCAA Division III Rowing Championships as it finished fourth overall as a team this weekend at the Indianapolis Rowing Center in Indianapolis, Ind.
The Cardinals placed fifth in the First Varsity 8 and fourth in the Second Varsity 8 to earn 38 points in their fourth consecutive NCAA Championship race. Bates won the title with 56 points followed by WPI (51) and Wellesley (46).
"The team did a really good job navigating delays and schedule changes and it wasn't an easy road to the Finals," said Head Coach Pat Tynan. "I'm proud of this team's accomplishment because I know how much effort they put in as a team over the past year. Like most teams, we had some ups and downs but we stuck together. It was a great field of crews and we have so much respect for the competition. This has been a pretty special group."
DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- After several delays due to clearing debris on the course, the Cardinals eventually got in the water for their first race at 4:10 p.m., as the 2nd Varsity 8 won its heat to advance to the Grand Final. Wesleyan finished in 6:47.652, narrowly edging both NESCAC foe Hamilton who crossed the line in 6:47.777 and Wellesley who placed in 6:47.787.
- The 1st Varsity 8 boat raced shortly after and took third in their heat ahead of Washington College, and behind Bates and Ithaca. Wesleyan finished in 6:47.282, while Bates won in 6:28.620.
- In the 1V8 Repechage at 7:30 p.m., the Cardinals finished first to qualify for the Grand Final as they finished ahead of Hamilton, Pacific Lutheran, and Washington College. Wesleyan crossed the finish line in 6:52.249, while the Continentals placed in 6:54.006.
DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- In their first race of the day, the 2V8 Grand Final, Wesleyan took to the water at 11:50 a.m. and finished fourth overall with a time of 7:32.650. Bates took first in 7:18.854, followed by WPI (7:25.342) and Wellesley (7:26.996).
- The 1V8 Grand Final took place 20 minutes later, where the Cardinals finished fifth overall by crossing the finish line in 7:20.699. Bates claimed the gold medal (7:01.012), while WPI finished second (7:06.932) and Wellesley took third (7:09.117).
- V8 – 1: Sarah Osborn; 2: Olivia Pearson; 3: Hannah Xu; 4: Emma Porrazzo; 5: Clara Babbott-Ward; 6: Lydia Paddock; 7: Rachelle Flowers; 8: Allison Quintana; Coxswain: Nicole Rizzuto
- 2V8 – 1: Jemma Blazina; 2: Sonja Welch; 3: Sam Hill; 4: Eleanor Highleyman; 5: Mackenzie Wiley; 6: Josephine Roudebush; 7: Eva Phelps; 8: Monica Roa; Coxswain: Nikki Pallat