--Recap by Gio Ortiz '21 --
HARTFORD, Conn. – Wesleyan women's crew opened its season at the Riverfront Regatta in Hartford, Connecticut today, fielding two boats in the Open 8 and two in the Open 4. The Varsity 8 placed fifth overall in the field of 25 with a time of 16:25.67. Tufts placed first with a time of 16:15.76, while UMass (16:18.32) and UConn (16:20.14) rounded out the top three.
"Our first Varsity 8 finished in the lead pack among a very competitive group of crews," said Head Coach Pat Tynan. "Two one-hundredths of a second separated us from the crew in front of us. The Second Varsity 8 encountered some issues with the steering of the shell and I believe their finish is not representative of their speed at this point. In the four's race, our crews were evenly matched finishing only two seconds apart. We've got some sorting out to do as we gear towards the Head of the Charles and the team is eager to get back to work."
- Coxswain Nicole Rizzuto and the V8 performed well on the day, narrowly missing out on a fourth-place finish by .02 seconds.
- Wesleyan's Second Varsity 8, led by coxswain Chase Ames, finished with a time of 19:01.45.
- In the Open 4, Wesleyan finished 10th and 11th with times of 20:40.87 and 20:42.93 in a field of 22 crews.
- 1v8+ - Nicole Rizzuto (cox); 8. Avery Kelly; 7. Clara Babbott-Ward; 6. Eva Phelps; 5. Hannah Xu; 4. Emily Coombs; 3. Jordan Craig; 2. Elizabeth Rowe; 1. Josephine Roudebush
- 2v8+ - Chase Ames (cox); 8. Megan Alberding; 7. Jemma Blazina; 6. Sonja Welch; 5. Emily Coombs; 4. Peyton Gaughan; 3. Danielle Harrington; 2. Celia D'Amato; 1. Elizabeth Myers
- 1v4+ - Chase Ames (cox); 4. Emily Coombs; 3. Sonja Welch; 2. Jemma Blazina; 1. Megan Alberding
- 2v4+ - 4. Alina Widmann; 3. Francesca Myhrvold; 2. Annabelle Lesser; 1. Meghan Heffernan
- On October 19th, the Cardinals will compete in the two-day Head of the Charles in Cambridge, Massachusetts.