Score: Williams 4, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (2-3-0, 0-1-0 NESCAC), Williams (2-3-0, 2-1-0 NESCAC)
Location: Williamstown, Mass. (Lansing Chapman Rink)
Date: Saturday, December 3rd
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team got out to a 3-0 lead, but it wasn't enough as they fell to Little Three rival Williams College 4-3 on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two teams would play a scoreless first period.
- Gina Mangiafridda '19 got the Cardinals on the board in the second as she took a pass from Bridget Sherman '19 and put the puck past Ephs goaltender Marissa Anderson for the 1-0 lead at 14:28.
- Mangiafridda would notch her second goal of the game in the third period as she took a Hailey Sholty '17 pass and got the puck in the back of the net for the 2-0 advantage at 7:08.
- A short while later, Sholty would give Wesleyan a 3-0 lead on a power play goal at 7:56. Her goal was assisted by Jackie Kilar '19 and Ellery Sarosi '17.
- The Ephs would respond, scoring four unanswered goals in the period.
- Chelsey Stevenson would cut the Cardinal lead to two goals at 9:42 in the third. Her goal was assisted by Hanna Beattie and Kearan Burke.
- Stevenson would score again at 16:13 to bring Williams to within one at 3-2. Burke and Stokes were given assists on the goal.
- Abby Brustad would tie the game at 3 on an unassisted goal at 18:02.
- Burke would give the home team the 4-3 lead at 18:51 as she found the back of the net off passes from Annie Rush and Alex Lovaas.
- With an empty net, the Cardinals would make one final push as Alicia Nickolenko '20 put two shots on net in the waning seconds, but non found the back of the net, and the Ephs would claim the 4-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Williams outshot Wesleyan 32-15.
- Freshman Allegra Grant made 28 saves in goal for Wesleyan.
- The two teams will return to the ice tomorrow for a 3 p.m. contest.