Score: Wesleyan 2, Endicott 2
Records: Wesleyan (2-4-1, 0-2-0 NESCAC); Endicott (9-0-1, 6-0-0 Colonial)
Location: Beverly, Mass. (Raymond J. Bourque Arena)
Date: Friday, December 9th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team played to a 2-2 tie against the Endicott Gulls on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Neither team was able to get on the board in the first period, as the teams took a combined 25 shots in the period. The Gulls put 18 on net while the Cardinals took 7.
- 41 seconds into the second period, Gina Mangiafridda '19 gave Wesleyan a 1-0 lead on her third goal of the year which was assisted by Jess Brennan '17 and Alex Horton '18. Brennan and Horton set up Mangiafridda who was waiting at the right post and was able to ge the puck past the pads of the Endicott netminder, Vendela Jonsson.
- The Cardinals would extend their lead to 2-0 at 3:13 in the period as Alexis Banquer '20 took passes from Kendall Carr '19 and Sam Curran '17 and put the puck past Jonsson. Banquer was able to squeeze the puck past the pads of Jonsson and the goalpoast for the two goal advantage.
- The Gulls would cut the Wesleyan lead in half as Maggie Layo scored a power play goal at 5:22 in the third. Her goal was assisted by Michaela McNamara and Caroline Hughes.
- The home team would tie the game at 9:48 as Teneal Perry set up Lexi Klein for the tying score.
- The teams would play five extra minutes in overtime, but neither team could get the puck in the back of the net, and the game would end in a 2-2 tie.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sam Smith '20 stopped 42 of the 44 shots she faced in net for the Cardinals.
- Jonsson made 27 saves for Endicott.
- Mangiafridda and Cici Frattasio '18 took five shots a piece for Wesleyan.
- The Cardinals will have an extended break before they host Nichols on Monday January 2nd at Spurrier-Snyder Rink. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- The Gulls return the the tomorrow as they will host Nichols at 5 p.m.