Feb 01, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's hockey team (5-12-1, 2-8-1) was edged 3-2 by No. 6 Middlebury (12-2-3, 8-1-2) on Friday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers looked to get on the board with 7:57 expired, but Jenna Letterie's wrister from the top of the right faceoff circle was denied by a glove save from Cardinal Allegra Grant.
- Wesleyan's Sydnée Goyer had a great chance to open the scoring at the 8:40 mark, but her shot from the doorstep was thwarted by Middlebury goaltender Lin Han.
- The visitor's best opportunity to score during the first period came with 16:53 expired after Sidney Porter's initial shot was denied by Grant. The puck careened off Grant's pads and nearly tucked inside the right post, but Audrey McMahon collected the loose puck and cleared it out of Wesleyan's defensive zone.
- The Cardinals opened the scoring with 6:06 expired in the second period when Gina Mangiafridda redirected a shot by Sarah Takahashi, making it 1-0.
- Middlebury answered at the 11:01 mark during a power play after Jenna Marotta intercepted a failed clearing attempt by Wesleyan. Marotta blasted a shot from the high slot, before Ellie Barney tipped it in to knot the game 1-1.
- The Panthers took a 2-1 lead with a shorthanded goal at the 14:25 mark. Madie Leidt collected the puck after a faceoff in the Middlebury defensive zone, before skating on a breakaway towards Wesleyan goaltender Grant. Leidt forced Grant off her line, before beating her in the high slot to find the back of the net.
- The Cardinals found the equalizer with four seconds remaining in the second frame when Jackie Kilar scored through the five-hole, making it 2-2 heading into intermission.
- Middlebury scored the game-winner 5:19 into the third period when Leidt blasted a shot from the left faceoff circle to make it 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Grant suffered the loss in goal for Wesleyan, making 38 saves during the contest.
- Han made 22 stops during the game and remains unbeaten this season with a mark of 7-0-2.
- Wesleyan will host Middlebury on Saturday at 3:00 p.m., before entertaining Post on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.