Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Smith Scores Late Game-Winner to Help Lift Wesleyan Past Babson, 9-8

Photo by Lianne Yun '18
Photo by Lianne Yun '18

BABSON PARK, Mass. – Meredith Smith '17 scored three goals, including the game-winner with 1:32 to play in regulation, to help lift the Wesleyan University women's lacrosse team to a thrilling 9-8 win Wednesday night in non-conference play at Babson College.

Wesleyan: 3-4, 0-3 NESCAC
Babson: 4-3, 0-0 NEWMAC


  • The Cardinals outscored Babson 6-4 in the first half, and led by as much as three in the game. They were held scoreless for much of the second half though, until Smith's game-winner in the closing minutes clinched the victory.
  • In addition to Smith's three goals, Liana Mathias '17 also excelled in Wednesday's game and tallied four points (1 G, 3 A). Martha Harding '16, Rachel Aronow '17, Dana Mitchell '18, Julia Black '18 and Antonia Kaz '19 each scored a goal, while Emily Gretsky '16 added an assist. Nina Labovich '16 picked up the win and made 11 saves in net.
  • The Beavers were led by Annie Arthur and Francesca Giovanucci with two goals each, while Arthur added an assist. Lyndsay Giroux, Julia Harrigan, McKenzie Tucci and Katie McKenna all tallied a goal, and Stevie Burger made four stops between the posts.
  • Wesleyan claimed a 15-12 advantage in ground balls, and went a perfect 12-for-12 on clear attempts. Babson edged the Cardinals in shots, 22-20, and draw controls, 10-9, but turned the ball over 14 times to Wesleyan's 11.


  • Babson got on the board first when Charlotte O'Halloran found Tucci for the first score of the game at the 26:32 mark.
  • The Cardinals evened the score less than three minutes later as Harding scored off an assist from Mathias.
  • However, just 50 seconds later, Babson regained the advantage and later extended its lead to 3-1 at the 19:39 mark on an unassisted score by Arthur.
  • Wesleyan responded with four unanswered goals from the 18:45 mark to 3:03 left in the half as Smith scored twice to help lift the Cardinals to a 5-3 edge.
  • Babson got within one in the closing minutes, but the visitor's found the back of the net with :16 remaining before the break to take a 6-4 lead at halftime. Mitchell scored the Cardinals' last goal of the half off an assist from Mathias.


  • Wesleyan took its largest lead of the game early in the second when Mathias recorded another assist, this time to Kaz as the Cardinals went ahead by three.
  • After both teams exchanged goals shortly after, to keep Wesleyan ahead by three, Babson went on a 3-0 run as a goal by Harrigan with 8:26 to play in regulation knotted the game at 8-8.
  • Nearly seven minutes of scoreless action went by until Smith scored the game-winner at the 1:32 mark. It was Wesleyan's first goal in 19:33 of play. The Cardinals also had a player advantage.


  • Wesleyan returns to conference play Saturday, April 2 and will host Colby at 12 p.m.
  • The Beavers are back in action Saturday as well and will go on the road to face Mount Holyoke at 12 p.m.