Score: Wesleyan 8, No. 13 Hamilton 7
Records: Wesleyan (3-0, 2-0 NESCAC); Hamilton (1-2, 1-1 NESCAC)
Location: Syracuse, N.Y. (Carrier Dome @ Syracuse University)
Date: Saturday, March 11
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: Trailing by three at halftime, the Wesleyan University women's lacrosse team rallied in the second half to defeat No. 13 Hamilton College in the Carrier Dome at Syracuse University, 8-7. The Cardinals improve to 3-0 on the season with their second win over a top-20 team this year.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Continentals got on the board first with a free position goal from Jackie Cuddy at the 25:35 mark.
- The two teams went back-and-forth early as a goal from Abby Manning '20 of Wesleyan evened the score at 2-2 with 17:25 to play.
- However, Hamilton rallied and scored three unanswered goals to end the half and take a 5-2 lead at the break.
- Manning, straight off a seven-goal performance, scored twice in the first half. Cuddy scored twice for Hamilton.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals scored the first two goals of the second half to cut the deficit to one with 16:39 to play in regulation.
- Hamilton, however, scored two of the next three goals to take a 7-5 lead with 12:57 remaining.
- The Cardinals didn't back down and rallied down the stretch. They scored three consecutive goals from Abigail Horst '19 (10:07), Meredith Smith '17 (6:11) and Liana Mathias '17 (4:36) to close out the game and earn the upset victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mathias led the Cardinals with four points (2G, 2A), while Manning and Smith each added two goals, and Rachel Aronow '17 registered a goal and an assist. Amy Breitfeller '19 led all players with six ground balls.
- Cuddy and Darby Philbrick each scored twice to lead Hamilton, and Morgan Fletcher recorded a team-high two assists. Taylor Ryan led the team with three ground balls.
- The Cardinals outshot Hamilton in the second half, 13-4, and held a 14-13 edge in ground balls.
- The win marked Wesleyan's first-ever against the Continentals. The Cardinals entered the game 0-6 all-time against their conference foe.
- Wesleyan is headed to Florida for its Spring Break trip and will play Skidmore Monday, March 13 in Englewood, Fla. The game is scheduled to start at 5 p.m.
- Hamilton will travel to Englewood, Fla. as well and is slated to play Tuesday, March 14 against Gettysburg at 5 p.m.