Score: Colby 8, Wesleyan 7 (OT)
Records: Wesleyan (11-5, 7-3 NESCAC); Colby (13-3, 8-2 NESCAC)
Location: Waterville, Maine
Date: Saturday, April 29
Time: 12 p.m.
The Lead: The 17th-ranked and fifth-seeded Wesleyan University women's lacrosse team lost a heartbreaker in overtime to No. 6-ranked and the No. 4 seed in tournament Colby College, by a final score of 8-7.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Two goals from Meredith Smith '17 at 27:52 and 24:39 put the Cardinals up 2-0.
- Abigail Horst '19 added another goal for the visitors on a free position shot at 20:16 to put Wesleyan ahead 3-0.
- The Mules would get to within one with goals from Maddie Hatch and Kendall Smith to make the score 3-2.
- Smith would notch her third goal of the half on a free position shot at 12:13, making the score 4-2.
- Three straight Colby goals would put the home team ahead by one, 5-4.
- With 26 seconds remaining in the first half, Rachel Aronow '17 tied the game at five.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Sasha Fritts would put the Mules back up by one as she took a pass from Emilie Klein and found the back of the net at 18:32.
- Once again, the visitors would tie the game as Smith buried a free position shot at 17:29.
- Down a player, Liana Mathias '17 found Abby Manning '20 who got the shot past Colby goaltender Izzy Scribano to put Wesleyan back on top, 7-6, at 7:52 in the half.
- A short while later, Gemma Bready would tie the game for the fourth time as she took a pass from Hatch and got it past Grace McCann '17 at 6:35.
- In the extra frame, Hatch would score on a free position shot at 3:05 to give the home team the 8-7 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith led all goal scorers with four goals.
- McCann made eight saves in net for the Cardinals.
- Wesleyan was a perfect 17-17 on clear attempts, and went 4-7 on free position attempts.
- The Cardinals await their NCAA fate when the NCAA Tournament Selection Show airs on Sunday, May 7 at 9:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.