WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The 12th-ranked Wesleyan women's lacrosse team cruised to a commanding 15-5 win over Little Three archrival Williams on the road Saturday afternoon in its 2019 season-opener. Sydney Prokupek led the way with five points on four goals and one assist, and Caitlin Wood tallied four goals as well.
- Wesleyan came out hot to start the game and jumped out to a 6-0 lead after the first 16 minutes of action with a pair of goals from Emma Richards and Wood.
- The Ephs ended the run at the 10:34 mark and the teams exchanged the next four goals over three and a half minutes of play.
- With 3:45 remaining before the break, Prokupek scored her second-straight and third of the half. Wesleyan led 9-2 at the intermission.
- Much like the first, the Cardinals opened the second half strong and scored the first five goals to extend their lead to 14-2 with 19:05 to play, essentially putting the game out of reach.
- The Ephs scored three-straight to get within nine with 6:35 remaining, but they wouldn't score again.
- Abby Manning scored the final goal of the game with 2:40 on the clock to seal the 10-goal victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan outshot Williams 22-10 on goal.
- Richards, Manning and Abby Horst each scored twice for the Cardinals, while Richards and Manning tallied an assist as well. Kat Cucullo rounded out the Wesleyan scoring with a goal of her own.
- The Ephs were led by Kara Wollmers who scored two goals on four shots. Olivia Gomez, Emma TenBarge and Mason Yonge each scored a goal, while Yone added two assists to lead the team in points.
- Allegra Grant earned the win in net for Wesleyan with five saves. Kami Cisneros was credited with the loss for Williams as she made seven stops.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Wednesday, March 6 and will host Vassar at 6 p.m. in their 2019 home-opener.