MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The 12th-ranked Wesleyan women's lacrosse team used a commanding 9-1 halftime lead to defeat Vassar, 13-5, on a frigid Wednesday evening at Smith Field. Izzy Powell led the Cardinals with three goals, while Julia Gretsky, Abby Manning and Caitlin Wood each scored twice.
With the win, Wesleyan improved to 2-0 on the year. The Brewers, led by Alessandra Fable's two goals, dropped to 1-1.
- It only took Wesleyan 44 seconds to get on the board Wednesday as Abigail Horst found the back of the net unassisted.
- The Cardinals scored the first three goals of the game in under four minutes.
- Vassar ended the run at the 24:46 mark as Fiona MacLeod found Fable for the score.
- However, Wesleyan rallied and outscored the Brewers 6-0 the rest of the half. With 1:28 to play, Gretsky extended the lead to eight as the Cardinals led 9-1 at the break.
- Gretsky scored the final goal of the first half, and the first goal of the second, as Wesleyan extended its run to nine unanswered to take a 12-1 lead with 18:43 to play.
- Kelly Pushie found the back of the net at the 16:17 mark for Vassar, and the visitors outscored the Cardinals 4-1 down the stretch, but it wasn't enough.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gretsky added an assist to go along with her two goals, while Grace Andonian, Johanna Copeland, Horst and Emma Richards each scored once for the Cardinals. Defensively, Caroline Sgaglione and Horst led the way with three caused turnovers each and Allegra Grant made two saves in 35:37 minutes between the post.
- Vassar also received goals from Caeli Porette and Tessa Waters, while Porette led all players with six caused turnovers. Jackie Molloy played all 60 minutes in net for the Brewers and made six stops.
- Wesleyan was 4-7 on free position shots and forced 30 turnovers. The Cardinals also outshot Vassar 26-13.
- Wesleyan returns to action on Saturday, March 9 and will host NESCAC rival and No. 16 Bates at 12 p.m.