WELLESLEY, Mass. – The 12th-ranked Wesleyan women's lacrosse team held a commanding 9-1 halftime lead en route to a 15-5 victory over No. 25 Babson on the road Sunday afternoon.
Abigail Horst, Abby Manning and Caitlin Wood each scored three goals for the Cardinals as they improved to 5-1 overall. The Beavers were led by Juliana McGuire's two goals as they dropped to 2-3 on the year.
- It was all Wesleyan early on. Johanna Copeland scored the first goal of the game off an assist from Sydney Prokupek with 18:55 on the clock, and the Cardinals would score six more goals as Prokupek later capped off the run with a goal at the 6:33 mark.
- With 5:51 remaining in the half, Sarah McCarthy put Babson on the board as scored on a free position shot.
- Emi Ogden-Fung put Wesleyan back up by seven with 1:40 left, and with only 10 seconds to go in the half, Wood scored on a free position shot to give the visitors a 9-1 lead at the break.
- In the opening minutes of the second half, Horst scored back-to-back goals just 40 seconds apart to give the Cardinals an 11-1 lead with 27:19 to play.
- Babson responded with a 2-0 run of its own to get back within eight.
- The teams exchanged the next four goals before the Cardinals closed out the game with a 2-0 run.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Manning also recorded an assist to lead all players with four points and secured a team-high four draw controls. Jordan Ansell and Johanna Copeland led the defense with two caused turnovers each and Allegra Grant made six saves in net.
- Four different players scored for Babson and Valerie Quinlan dished out a game-high two assists. Isabelle Lent led all players with five draw controls, while Riley Buonaguiro and McGuire each caused two turnovers. Cricket Fligor made 13 saves in net.
- Wesleyan has a week off before returning to action next Saturday, March 23 for a 1 p.m. home contest against Kean.