Event: 26th Annual Roger Williams Invitational
Result: 8th of 11
Location: Bristol, R.I.
Date: Saturday, November 12, 2016
The Lead: Sophomore James Matias of Wesleyan University wrestling finished second overall in the 141-pound weight class to highlight the day for the Cardinals in their 2016 season opener at the 12-team Roger Williams Invitational.
- Three Cardinals competed in the 125; Amir Daouk '20, Zack Murillo '19 and Tristan Stetson '20. Daouk and Murillo both doth dropped their first round match, but went 2-1 in the consolation bracket.
- Dylan Jones '19 pinned Andrew Dickerson of No. 5 Stevens in the championship bracket but dropped his second match to fall into the consolation.
- The highlight of the day was the 141-weight class as Matias took second place with a 12-3 major over Patrick Scally of No. 8 Roger Williams, a pin in 2:29 against Dylan Van Sickell of Stevens and claiming a win by disqualification against Joseph Ferinde of Johnson & Wales to advance to the finals. In the championship match, Matias lost by a 2-0 decision against Gregory Warner of No. 10 York.
- Shane Ross and Frank Crippen also competed in the 141, as Ross took fourth-place with a 4-2 record on the day. He lost to Matthew McAllister of the Coast Guard Academy in the third-place match.
- Robert Rosenberg '17 went 3-2 on the day from the 157-weight class; Roy Forys '19 went 2-2 in 165; and Isaiah Bellamy '18 finished 2-2 in 285.
- The Cardinals are back on the mat next Saturday, Nov. 19 for the Doug Parker Invite at Springfield College beginning at 10 a.m.