Event: NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships
Result: T-40th of 58
Location: La Crosse Center (La Crosse, Wis.)
Date: Fri.-Sat., March 10-11, 2017
The Lead: Devon Carrillo '17 and Carter Armendarez '18 of the Wesleyan University wrestling team both won their First Round matches at the 2017 NCAA Division III Championships Friday afternoon, but fell in the Quarterfinals during the night session.
- Carrillo, the No. 4 seed at 197, pinned Matt Seabold of Central in 1:32 in his First Round match. After a takedown by the senior put him up 2-0, they both restarted in the middle as Carrillo placed Seabold on his back twice to go up 12-1 before the pin.
- Seabold earned All-America honors in 2015, and was the Central Region runner-up this season.
- Carrillo, however, dropped a 5-2 decision to the No. 5 seed and East Region Champion AJ Kowal of Stevens Tech in the Quarterfinals.
- Armendarez entered the tournament unseeded at 149 and upset fifth-seeded Ryan Epps of nationally-ranked No. 4 Augsburg in the First Round.
- In his first national championship match of his career, the junior placed Epps on his back for six points with :30 remaining in the first period. In the second, Epps escaped from the bottom to earn a point before Armendarez earned another takedown to go up, 8-1. He would hold on to win by an 8-3 decision.
- Epps was the West Regional champion at 149.
- In the Quarterfinals, Armendarez was pinned by the No. 4 seed, Dan Del Gallo of Southern Maine in 4:54. Del Gallo boasts an overall record of 43-1 and finished second at the Northeast Regionals.
- Carrillo earned Wesleyan three points with his pin, while Armendarez earned one to give the Cardinals four total.
- Carrillo finished the season with an impressive 22-3 record, and Armendarez capped his junior campaign with a 19-10 mark.