BRISTOL, R.I. – The Wesleyan University wrestling team opened its 2017-18 season today at the 13-team Roger Williams Tournament and finished sixth overall with 109 points. Isaiah Bellamy '18 highlighted the day by winning the 285-pound weight class while Devon Carrillo '17E took second overall at 197.
Johnson & Wales won the tournament with 171 points with Messiah placing second (169.5) and Roger Williams claiming third (132.5).
- Bellamy opened the season on a strong note with an impressive performance at 285. The senior went 4-0 on the day and pinned Mike Risti of Southern Maine in the finals in 3:15.
- Carrillo, who returns to the program for a third year and advanced to the NCAA Championships the past two seasons, went 4-1 at 197 to reach the championship match. He lost to Kyle Koser of Messiah by pin (5:33).
- Carter Armendarez '18, a 2017 NCAA Championship qualifier, took third overall at 149 as he went an impressive 5-1 on the day.
- At 141, Shane Ross '19 went 4-2 overall to claim fourth.
- The Cardinals also excelled at 125 as Amir Daouk '20 and Zack Murillo '19 took fourth and sixth, respectively. Daouk went 3-2 on the day and Murillo went 4-2.
- Wesleyan returns to the mat next Saturday, Nov. 18 for the Doug Parker Invite at Springfield College.